Respiratory tract infection refers to a number of infectious diseases involving the respiratory tract.
Upper respiratory tract infection(URI or URTI)
Lower respiratory tract infection (LRI or LRTI)
- Sneezing or coughing
- Poor hand washing techniques
- Parainfluenza virus
- Respiratory syncytial virus
Streptococcus pneumoniae bacteria.
Symptoms And Signs–
Upper Respiratory Tract Infections
- Muscle aches and pain
- Sore throat
- Stuffed or runny nose
Lower Respiratory Tract Infections
- Aches and pains
- Blocked nose and sinuses
- Fever and chills
- Productive cough (phlegm, mucus, blood)
- Sore throat
- Tight feeling in chest
- Chest X-Ray
- Blood tests
Upper Respiratory Tract Infection
- Drink plenty of fluids (to prevent dehydration )
- For infants with stuffy noses, saline nose drops used with a bulb syringe may be helpful in clearing the nasal passages.
- Ayurvedic Medicines
Lower Respiratory Tract Infection
- Self care
- Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs)
- Drink plenty of non-alcoholic fluids
- Take rest and avoid strenuous activity.
- Avoid being around people who smoke, and stay away from smoke-filled environments.
- Raise the head of bed slightly
- Ayurvedic Medication
- Deep vein thrombosis (DVT)
- Lung abscess
- Pleural effusion
- Pleuritic pain
- Septicaemia or Bacteraemia
- Wash hands regularly and thoroughly, particularly after touching nose or mouth, and before handling food.
- Sneezing and coughing into tissues.
- Do not share cups or kitchen utensils with others
- Vaccines are available for pneumonia and flu
- Quit smoking