Osteoporosis is a condition characterized by a decrease in the density of bone, decreasing its strength and resulting in fragile bones. Osteoporosis literally leads to the abnormally porous bone that is compressible, like a sponge. This disorder of the skeleton weakens the bone and results in frequent fractures in the bones.
- Body not absorbing enough calcium from the diet
- Bone cancer
- Cigarette smoking
- Eating disorders (anorexia nervosa or bulimia)
- Genetic disorders
- Heavy alcohol consumption
- Inactive lifestyle
- Inadequate intake of calcium and vitamin D(in the elderly)
- Inadequate intake of calcium(in youth)
- Lack of estrogen in women and androgen in men
- Lack of muscle use
- Lack of weight-bearing exercise
- Overuse of corticosteroids
- Rheumatoid arthritis
- Thyroid problems
Symptoms and signs of Osteoporosis
- Bone pain or tenderness
- Fractures with little or no trauma
- Loss of height over time
- Low back pain
- Neck pain due to fractures of the spinal bones
- Bone mineral density testing (specifically a densitometry or DEXA scan)
- A special type of spine CT
- Quantitative computed tomography (QCT)
- Spine or hip x-ray.
Ayurvedic Medicines are taken for two – three months to restore the body mass and ease off the symptoms of osteoporosis.
- Eat a balanced diet rich in calcium and vitamin D.
- Engage in weight-bearing exercise.
- No smoking
- No alcohol intake
- Take medication to improve bone density when appropriate.