Osteoarthritis ( degenerative arthritis) is a type of arthritis that is caused by the breakdown and eventual loss of the cartilage of one or more joints.
Causes of osteoarthritis
- Congenital abnormalities
- Paget’s disease
- Repeated trauma
- Rheumatoid arthritis
- Sickle cell anaemia
- Surgery of the joint structures
- Wilson disease.
Symptoms and signs
- Pain in the affected joint(s) after repetitive use.
- Pain is worse later in the day.
- Creaking of the affected joints
- Pain at rest or with limited motion(severe osteoarthritis)
- Excess upper body weight( OA of the knees)
- Outward curvature of the knees(bowlegged)
- Pain in the neck or low back(OA of cervical spine or lumbar spine)
- Osteophytes( bony spurs)
- Numbness and tingling of the affected parts of the body.
- Heberden’s node( hard, bony enlargements of the small joints of the fingers)
- Bouchard’s node( bony knob at the middle joint of the fingers)
- A bunion (at the base of the big toe of the foot)
- X-rays(of the affected joints)
- Arthrocentesis (for analysis of joint fluid)
- CT scan
- Weight reduction
- Diet (Antioxidant, Vitamins C, E and D, Calcium)
- Heat — Hot soaks and warm wax (paraffin) application may relieve pain.
- Orthoses (Splints, braces, walkers, crutches, canes, orthopaedic footwear)
- Ayurvedic Medicines
Total hip and total knee replacements