Meningitis is an infection of the fluid of spinal cord and the fluid that surrounds the brain.
- Coxsackie virus
- Herpes virus
- Lymphocytic choriomeningitis virus(LCMV)
Direct contact with respiratory secretions (saliva, sputum, nasal mucous)
Shaking hands with an infected person
Practice general hygiene
- Neisseria meningitides
- Streptococcus pneumonia
- Haemophilus influenza serotype b (Hib)disease
Symptoms And Signs–
- Stiff neck
- Fever and chills
- Recent URTI
- Localized weakness
- loss of sensation (especially in the face)
- Joint swelling
- Bruises like rash
- Lumbar puncture (culture of CSF)
- Blood culture
- Chest x-ray
- CT scan of the head
- Ayurvedic Medicines
- Keep the person in a darkened, quiet area.
- If the person is vomiting, lay the person on one side to prevent him or her from inhaling vomit.
- Brain damage
- Subdural effusion
- Haemophilus vaccine –Hib disease
- The pneumococcal conjugate vaccine -Pneumococcal meningitis.
- Preventive antibiotics– Meningococcal meningitis