Giardia lamblia. People become infected after swallowing Giardia cyst often found in water contaminated by raw sewage or animal waste
- Contaminated water supplies
- Contaminated food
- Person-to-person contact
Symptoms And Signs of Giardiasis
- Abdominal bloating
- Abdominal pain
- Change in level of consciousness or alertness
- Cool or cold skin
- Decreased urine output
- Dry skin and mucous membranes
- Excessive thirst
- Fever and chills
- Mild diarrhoea involving the passage of pale, bulky, foul-smelling and greasy stool.
- Muscle cramps and weakness
- Nausea or vomiting
- Sudden loss of balance
- Weight loss
- Stool antigen test to check for Giardia
- Stool test for ova and cyst
- Drink fluids such as sports drinks, diluted fruit juices, flat soda, broth, soups
- Fluids should be taken in small amounts frequently throughout the day.
- Avoid spicy, greasy, and fried foods.
- After stools become formed, return to a regular diet.
- Avoid milk for several weeks.