Outer Ear Infection-Otitis externa
Otitis externa is a condition that causes inflammation of the external ear canal. This is the tube between the outer ear and eardrum
- Fungi( yeast, aspergillus)
- Traumaor injury to the ear canal.
- Skin diseases( Eczema , Seborrhea, Neurodermatitis,)
- Allergic reactionsto medications
- Allergic rhinitis
- Reaction to some sprays( hair spray)
- Bacteria( Pseudomonas Aeruginosa , Staphylococcus Aureus, and Enterobacter species )
- This type of infection often happens when children spend a lot of time swimming (especially in dirty water).
- Water can get into the ear at other times, such as when a child’s hair is washed or during a bath.
Symptoms And Sign–
- Drainage from the ear
- Foul smelling
- Ear pain( worsen on moving head)
- Hearing loss
- Itching of the ear/ ear canal
- Neurological examination
- Culture of the drainage from ear
- CT scan of the head
- MRI scan of the head
- Radionuclide scan
- Surgical removal of dead tissue (malignant otitis externa)
- Stenosis of ear canal
- Inflamed or perforated eardrum
- Avoid damaging ears-
- Do not insert cotton wool buds or other objects into your ears
- If earwax build-up is a problem, get it removed from a doctor
- Keep ears dry and clean
- Do not let water, soap or shampoo get inside ears while washing
- Wear a shower cap while showering
- After washing, dry ears using a hairdryer on a low setting.
- Never push the corners of a towel into ears to dry them
- Wear a swimming hat covering ears
- Use antiseptic ear drops whenever the water is trapped in the ears.