Kutki (picrorhiza kurroa)
Last Updated on
Kutki – Picrorhiza kurroa is a powerful Ayurvedic herb used in treating mainly chronic fever, skin disorders and diabetes. It is a perennial herb. It is found in Himalayan region from Kashmir to Sikkim. The herb is even found in Nepal.
The Leaves are 5 to 15 cm long almost all at the base, often withered, leaves are oval in shape coarsely toothed, and narrowed to a winged stalk. Its flowers are small, pale or purplish blue in colour and are about 8 mm, 5 lobed in the middle and with much longer stamens. It bears 1.3 cm long fruits. The Rhizome is 20 cm long(nearly).
- Taste (Rasa): Bitter, Pungent (Tikta)
- Energy (Virya): Cooling (Sheeta)
- Post-digestive quality (Vipaka): Pungent (Katu)
- Quality (Guna): Dry, light (Ruksa, Laghu)
- Constitution Effect (Dosha): Balances Kapha and Pitta
- Tissue (Dhatu): Plasma, Blood, Fat Tissues, Nerves
- Channel (Srotas): Digestive System, Hepatic System, Circulatory System, Respiratory System, Urinary System, Nervous System, Female Reproductive System
- Part used: Root and rhizome (Underground stem)
Kitin,Picrorrhizin,Cucurbitacin, Benetic Acid, Vanniliac Acid, Kutki Sterol, Apocynin, D-Mannitol
- Hepatoprotective —- detoxifies the liver and blood, thus supports the liver and spleen. Used in all forms of liver damage, cirrhosis and inflammation of the liver. It protects the liver against damage from the hepatitis c virus.
- Anti-cholestasis (a condition where bile cannot flow from the liver to the duodenum).
- Anti-oxidant—antioxidant means herb that inhibits the oxidation (a chemical reaction that can produce free radicals, leading to chain reactions that may damage cells).
- Immunomodulator ——- that is it modifies the immune response or the functioning of the immune system by the stimulation of antibody formation. It enhance cellular growth and tissue regeneration.
- Herbal antibiotic.
- Supports healthy external skin
- Maintains the integrity of the intestinal and respiratory inner skin
- Maintains healthy lymph and immune function
- The herb is bitter (cooling), but also pungent (warming and cleansing), and also gentle and safe to use.
Ayurvedic medicines with Kutki ingredient:
Arogya Vardhini Vati
Tab Tinifat —used in treating liver diseases, fatty liver, hepatitis, constipation, high cholestrol