Roundworms (Ascaris lumbricoides).
Roundworm usually resides in the small intestine and
enters the body through contact with contaminated food
or water, unwashed hands, and contact with contaminated
Symptoms And Signs of Ascariasis
- Allergic rash
- Blurred vision
- Intestinal obstruction at the
- Larvae in the stool or even in
a child’s bed
- Nausea and vomiting
- Poor appetite
- Restlessness (especially at night)
- Shortness of breath
- Swollen lymph nodes
- Vague abdominal discomfort
- Weight loss or inability to gain weight
(especially in children)
- Full blood count
- Stool test for ova and cyst
- Urine test
- Skin biopsy
- X-ray -abdomen
- Surgery may be needed in cases when the
roundworm infection causes obstructions in
the intestines or other organs.
Dietary recommendations for
- Cayenne peppers
- Green chillies
- Olives, figs
- Herbal tea
- More dark leafy greens (spinach and kale)
and sea vegetables.
- Anti-oxidant foods
- fruits ( blueberries, cherries, and tomatoes)
- Vegetables (squash and bell peppers).
- Avoid refined foods( white bread, pasta, and
- Eat cold-water fish or beans for protein.
- Stay away from pork and other meats from
- Use healthy oils in foods(olive oil or vegetable oil)
- Avoid caffeine, alcohol, and tobacco.
- Drink 6 – 8 glasses of filtered water daily.
- Exercise at least 30 minutes daily, five days a week.
- Take a multivitamin daily, containing the antioxidant
vitamins A, C, and E, the B-complex vitamins, and
trace minerals such as magnesium, calcium,
zinc, and selenium.
Complications of Ascariasis
- Abnormal growth of the skin and surrounding
- Inflammation of the intestines or gall bladder
- Inflammation of the pancreas
- Intestinal obstruction,
- Kidney disease
- Pus accumulation in the liver